Preceptor Training Program (2-day)
Tuesday & Wednesday, February 14 & 15, 2023
9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CST - each day
RWHC Office & Training Center
880 Independence Lane, Sauk City
*Preceptors must attend both days.
Registration Deadline: January 24th
RWHC Member & Affiliate Member:
$350 per person
$420 per person
Fee includes program handouts. Lunch is on your own.
RWHC is approved as a provider of continuing health education by the Wisconsin Society for Healthcare Education and Training (WISHET). RWHC designates this activity for up to 12 contact hours (1.2 CEUs) of continuing education for allied health professionals.
Cella Janisch-Hartline, RN, BSN, PCC Professional Certified Coach, is the Nursing Leadership Senior Manager for Rural WI Health Cooperative (RWHC). Cella brings her experience from over 40 years in various rural healthcare leadership positions to her work as she combines her passion for nursing, leadership, coaching and teaching. Named the 2018 Outstanding Educator through the National Rural Health Association, she engages healthcare participants across the country with her humorous, action-oriented and compassionate approach.
Jo Anne Preston is the Workforce and Organizational Development Senior Manager at the Rural Wisconsin Health Cooperative, where she brings over four decades of her healthcare leadership experience to designing and delivering leadership and employee education for rural healthcare throughout Wisconsin and the United States. She has a M.S. in Educational Psychology/Community Counseling from Eastern Illinois University, is the author of Lead the Way in Five Minutes a Day: Sparking High Performance in Yourself and Your Team, and writes a monthly leadership blog.
All health care leaders, including nursing, lab, pharmacy, therapies, radiology, nutrition, admissions, etc., who want to build their mentoring/leadership skills
This workshop is geared to any health care professional role, including nursing, lab, pharmacy, therapies, radiology, nutrition, admissions, etc. Pairing experienced health care professionals with new employees has the potential to quickly bring classroom learning to real life competence. But being skilled in one’s technical role and being an able teacher are two different roles. This 2-day* workshop will build those teaching and mentoring skills necessary to engage new employees in a way that builds competence and confidence for both learner and mentor. It provides opportunities for practice and feedback related to the essential skill set for preceptors through simulation learning and role-playing scenarios.
*Preceptors must attend both days.
Day One – Preceptors will learn to:
- Identify parameters of the preceptor role
- Determine key elements of effective professional role-modeling
- Identify socialization process of new departmental employees
- Create a professional integration plan
- Assess learning needs of the preceptee
- Identify generational perspectives/needs
- Examine personality preferences and innate differences
- Plan effective learning for the preceptee
- Foster an effective learning climate
- Address specific learning behaviors of preceptees
Day Two – Preceptors will learn to:
- Implement effective feedback techniques
- Teach technical skills through a competency-based approach
- Promote critical thinking, reflection, learning through experiences
- Demonstrate communication skills to resolve conflict
- Recognize behaviors that constitute lateral violence
- Evaluate performance
- Utilize techniques for responding to challenging learners
- Discuss teaching in moment and after the moment (One Minute Preceptor End of Shift Debriefing)